A transit visa for Australia is a short-term visa issued only to grant you passage through Australia while you are traveling to another country. Not everyone needs a transit visa- this will depend on many factors, including your country of residence.
Those who hold a maritime crew visa 988 can use a transit visa to enter Australia to join a non-military ship.
Do I Need a Transit Visa for Australia?
You will need a transit visa unless you are from one of the countries listed below:
- Czech Republic
- Federated States of Micronesia
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Papua New Guinea
- San Marino
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom*
- Unites States of America
If you are from these countries, you will also need to meet the following requirements:
- You will be traveling to Australia via airplane.
- You have a valid passport or travel document that allows you to enter another country.
- You have travel arrangements to another country within 8 hours of your arrival.
- You will not be leaving the transit zone for any reason, including collecting your baggage otherwise, you will need a visa.
- You hold a Hong Kong Special Administrative Region passport or British National Overseas passport.
- You are a resident in Taiwan and you were issued a passport by the authorities of Taiwan.
- You are a government official from India with a passport issued by the Republic of India.
- You hold a diplomatic passport.
*This includes all commonwealth.
Document Checklist for Transit Visa 771
If you need to apply for a transit visa 771, then make sure you provide the listed documents:
- Valid Passport.
- National ID card.
- Visa 771 application form.
- One recent photograph.
- Detailed itinerary.
- Evidence of previous visa (maritime crew applicants).
- Confirmed flight ticket to another country.
- Visa for another country (if applicable).
- Proof that you meet the character prerequisites.
- Evidence you signed Australia’s values statement.
- Health Insurance.
- See Crew Transit Documents:
- National ID.
- Proof of employment on your current ship.
- Travel plans to another country.
- Proof that the ship you will be working on is non-military.
- Seafarer’s identification.
- Statement form your shipping agent including:
- Your full name.
- The name of the employee you will be taking over for.
- The company name employing you.
- Your arrival date in Australia.
- The date you will be joining the ship.
- A copy of the request to let new crew members join from the ship’s agent in Australia (if applicable).
- Assistance forms:
Any visa documents you submit must be in English. If you are in Australia at the time of application, you must have your documents translated by an accredited translator from the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters. Translations from another country don’t need to be by an accredited translator, as long as the translator provides their full name, address and contact details, and qualifications.
Every document you submit must be a certified copy of the original. You must have the documents certified by an authorised individual, except for police certificates that must be originals. You can find out how to certify documents and who can certify them here.
You must scan the pages of your passport displaying your personal details and the issue and expiry date. If you provide a copy of your National ID cards, both sides must be scanned.
Transit Facilities at Australian Airports
A few of Australia’s airports have limited space for their transit facilities and as a result, you may need a transit visa even if you meet all the requirements to travel without a visa 771. This will depend on the airport you will be arriving in:
- Sydney, Cairns, and Gold Coast. You will need a transit visa if you are passing through here overnight since these airports don’t work 24 hours. You must have a valid visa while you spend the night elsewhere.
- Perth. Here you will find transit lounges that allow you to stay without a transit visa if you enter and depart from the same terminal.
- Darwin. If you need to have your baggage transferred from airplane to airplane, you will need a transit visa since this airport does not provide this service.
- You will need a transit visa for overnight flights and if you switch aircraft. However, you may be exempt from the transit visa if the airline sends a notice prior to your arrival, provided you already meet the requirements for traveling without a transit visa (see above).
- Canberra, Sunshine Coast. This airport does not work 24 hours and does not provide travel facilities for passengers that can pass through Australia without a transit visa. Therefore, all passengers going through here will need a visa 771.
How Do I Get an Australia Transit Visa?
You get a transit visa by submitting your application via the ImmiAcocunt. You must have an account so you can attach the visa application form and the required documents, if you don’t, then open one prior to your trip. Make sure you lodge your application as early as a month before.
How Much Does a Transit Visa for Australia Cost?
There is no cost for a transit visa 771. You are not required to make a base application fee if you do need this visa.
How Long Can I Stay With a Transit Visa in Australia?
You can only stay for 72 hours in Australia with a visa 771. If you are a maritime crew member who entered Australia via plane, then you have 5 days to join your new ship. After five days, your transit visa is no longer valid plus you must lodge a new transit visa application each time you enter Australia by plane to join a new crew.
How Long Does It Take to Get a Transit Visa for Australia?
The majority of applications take a little over a month to process. However, some applications may finish processing after two weeks.
Can I Stay Longer?
You cannot stay longer with a transit visa, and you are not allowed to extend this visa. If you want to stay in Australia, you have to apply for another Australian visa.
How Many Times Can I Enter Australia With a Transit Visa 771?
After your transit visa is issued, you can only enter Australia once. If you need a transit visa for Australia, then you must apply for a new visa 771 every time you travel.
Can I Apply for an Australian Transit Visa Online?
Yes, you can apply for a transit visa online through ImmiAccount.
Can My Family Members Apply With Me for a Transit Visa 771?
You must make a separate application for each family member if they need a transit visa too. This includes babies who are a part of their parents’ passports.
Transit Visa Australia From New Zealand
Usually, you don’t need a transit visa 771 if you hold a New Zealand passport or are a resident in New Zealand. Moreover, if you hold a special visa 444 you can pass through Australia without any issues.
However, if you fail to meet the above-mentioned requirements you still need a transit visa.