Foreigners who want to attend training to improve their professional skills have to apply for an Australia training visa 407. This visa covers different training programs depending on what type of training the applicant wants to follow.
What Is an Australia Training Visa 407?
A 407 visa is a temporary visa issued to individuals who are attending a work training course.
The training course can be focused on improving your skills for your current occupation or field of study in higher education, or a professional training program.
Australia Training Visa Eligibility Criteria
In order to be eligible for this type of training visa in Australia you must be:
- Nominated by an approved sponsor.
- Invited (if your sponsor is a Commonwealth Government institution).
Your nomination and sponsorship have to be attached to your visa application.
Requirements for Australia Training Visa 407
If you want to receive a training visa 407 for Australia, you must submit these documents:
- Passport and IDs. You have to provide an up-to-date passport and identification documents. These include birth certificates, national ID card, driver’s license, marriage certificates, divorce certificate, adoption papers, etc. You may be required to submit a photograph and your fingerprints.
- Invitation Letter. If you are being supported by an Australian Commonwealth Government institution, then you have to provide a copy of your invitation letter.
- Sponsorship Proof. Individuals who apply for an Australia training visa have to provide:
- A letter of approval from your sponsor or a receipt proving the submission of the sponsorship application.
- A letter of approval from your sponsor’s nomination or a receipt proving the submission of the nomination application.
- A written statement from your sponsor that they will meet all the obligations towards you and all the family members included in your application.
- Volunteer Forms. If the training is a volunteer position, then your sponsor has to attach forms 1283 and 1284 with the nomination form.
- Qualification Documents. You have to submit a copy of your resume and qualifications including copies of registration or licenses (if applicable). This includes a letter on company letterhead from your current employer detailing your position and responsibilities.
- Financial Funds Documents. You have to provide proof that you can financially support yourself and your family members (if any):
- Bank statements.
- A letter from your bank stating your financial situation.
- Employment contracts.
- Evidence of allowance, stipends, accommodation from your sponsor.
- A letter of support from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (if you were a supported student or receiver of AusAid).
- Health Insurance. It’s important for you and any other family member that is coming with you, to have health insurance for Australia. You should purchase insurance from a reliable provider.
- Evidence of English Language Proficiency. You have to prove that you have enough language skills if your first language isn’t English. You can submit certificates from primary or secondary school from an English-speaking institution. Also, you can provide a certificate from one of the acceptable test in Australia for language proficiency:
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE).
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE).
- Proof of Good Character. It’s important to prove that you meet the character requirements for Australia.
- Occupational Training Requirements. You have to submit a letter from the competent institution of your occupation in your country naming you as the receiver of the training. The letter must also include that the training is necessary for you in order to get a license, registration, or membership to continue working within your occupation.
- A letter stating you have conditional registration for the training from the appropriate authority or a regulatory body. This is required if you are a healthcare professional who is treating patients during the training.
- Australian Values Statement. You have to sign a declaration that confirms you will uphold all Australian laws and regulations and respect Australian values.
- Assistance Documents. If you need help with your visa application, then provide the following:
Extra Documents for Family Members
In case you are bringing your dependents with you, then you must include the following in your visa application:
- Your partner’s identification.
- Evidence of a registered relationship by an Australian State or Territory.
- Documents to prove that you have been in a de-facto relationship for at least a year before your application.
- Form 1229 for parental consent if you are traveling with a minor.
- A statutory declaration for travel consent if the form is not filled in.
- An Australian court order allowing the child to travel to Australia.
- Proof that the laws in your country allow the minor to travel.
For children over 18
- Identity documents.
- Character requirements.
- Evidence of relationship (if applicable).
- Form 47a, if the child is over 18 and dependent on you.
- Proof of the relationship between you and the dependent child.
- Evidence of financial dependence.
- A medical form stating that the child is unable to support themselves and is dependent on you or your partner.
You can bring a child over 23 if they are unable to provide for themselves due to cognitive limitation or similar circumstances, and they are dependent on you or your partner.
How to Apply for a Training Visa for Australia?
For a training visa 407 you have to apply online through an ImmiAccount:
- Open an ImmiAccount.
- Submit the visa form.
- Assemble the required documents.
- Submit the application fee.
Open an ImmiAccount
An online application has to be submitted through an ImmiAccount. If you don’t have one, you have to open a new account. The ImmiAccount is free- all you have to do is open one through your email and set up a password.
Submit the Visa Form
In your ImmiAccount, you can select the visa form for a training visa 407 and then fill it in. It’s important to fill in the form with up-to-date personal details. Once you complete the form you have to sign it and submit it. Afterward, you can continue with the rest of the application.
Assemble the Required Documents
For your online application, you have to attach scanned copies of your documents. The copies have to be coloured-the same as the original versions. Your documents must follow the specifications of the Immigration Office. Moreover, your documents have to be in English and not in another language. Make sure that you have them translated as required.
Once you have prepared your documents then you can begin to attach them to your ImmiAccount. Keep copies of your documents.
Submit the Application Fee
In order to get your visa processed, you have to pay the application fee. You can pay through your ImmiAccount with a credit card, PayPal, union pay, or Bpay.
How Much Does a Training Visa for Australia Cost?
A training visa 407 for Australia costs AUD 315. The visa charge for a training visa can change depending on your circumstances.
Occupational Types for an Australia Training Visa
There are three types of occupational training visas depending on the purpose of your training:
- Occupational training required for registration.
- Occupational training to improve your skills in an eligible occupation.
- Occupational training for capacity building overseas.
Occupational Training Required for Registration
In order to receive occupational registration, membership, or licensing, applicants have to follow workplace-based training. The registration, membership, or licensing is obligatory for those who want to exercise their occupation in Australia or their home country.
Occupational Training to Improve Your Skills in an Eligible Occupation
This type of training is applicable to visa applicants that want to attend programs that are:
- Tailored specifically for the training needs of the applicant.
- Related to the specific eligible occupations listed by the Immigration Office
- Featuring a nominee that has recent experience (a year of full-time experience in the related field or an experience that happened 24 months immediately preceding the nomination).
Occupational Training for Capacity Building Overseas
This training includes:
- Overseas Qualifications. These are workplace-based training in Australia that last up to six months for students who are currently enrolled in a foreign education program and must complete practical training, research, or observation. This type of training must be fashioned according to the needs of the applicant.
- Government Support. Includes structured workplace-based training that is supported by a government agency in Australia or the government of the applicant’s home country. Both must be supported at the national state or territory level.
- Professional Development. Professional development is made up of face-to-face training or teachings in a classroom setting. This training program is suitable for overseas employers who want to send their employees for professional development.
Who Can Sponsor Me for an Australia Training Visa 407?
Your sponsor can be anyone who is an approved temporary activities sponsor:
- An Australian organisation operating legally in Australia (company, non-profit organisation, partnership, and so on).
- An Australian Commonwealth institution, or government agency operating in Australia.
- An international organisation recognized by Australia.
- An organisation that operates a superyacht or a captain of a superyacht.
- A sports organisation operating in Australia.
- A religious organisation or institution operating in Australia.
For a training visa 407, your sponsor must also be able to directly train you.
Can I Change My Sponsor of an Australia Training Visa?
You can change your sponsor if you want to do so. Your new sponsor has to nominate you, and as soon as the new nomination is approved you can continue your training for the remainder of your visa. You do not need to apply for a new visa if you change your sponsor as long as the training program is the same.
If you change your training program, then you have to apply for a new visa. Applying for a new visa means that you must have continuous sponsorship.
How Long Can I Stay in Australia With a Training Visa?
An Australian training visa is temporary and is usually valid for up to 2 years. Depending on your circumstances your visa may be issued for less than that.
Can I Extend an Australia Training Visa?
A training visa 407 can’t be extended. If you want to stay longer after your visa has expired, then you have to apply for another visa, otherwise, you have to leave Australia as soon as your visa is over.
Can I Travel Outside of Australia With a Training Visa?
You can freely travel with a training visa provided that your visa is still valid.
Can I Work With a Training Visa?
You are allowed to work only if the work is related to your training or the course you are taking, and you won’t work over 40 hours for a two-week period.
Australia Training Visa Processing Time
The majority of training visa applications are processed in 14 months. The processing time is delayed if you are missing something from your visa application.
Can I Bring My Family Members to Australia With a Training Visa?
You can bring your family members with you when you apply for a training visa. All of your family members have to be covered by health insurance and must meet the character and health requirements.
Your family members can join you in Australia even after you’ve received your training visa. For their visa application, they must submit the visa form for temporary work and activity (subsequent entrant, 403, 407, 498).
Your family members should be listed on the nomination form if they are not sponsored by a Commonwealth Government institution. They may also provide a letter from your sponsor, as the main applicant, stating that your sponsor has agreed to support your family members.
Does a Training Visa 407 Lead to Permanent Residency in Australia?
You can’t gain permanent residency in Australia with a training visa 407. This visa is only temporary and it’s only for training purposes. As soon as your training visa is over you must return to your home country. If you want Australian permanent residency, then you have to apply for a permanent skilled worker visa.
Australia Training Visa Cancellation
Your training visa 407 may be cancelled by the Immigration Office if you don’t meet the conditions attached to your visa:
- Limited Work: Holders of a training visa are allowed to work only if the work deals with their training and don’t pass over 40 hours of work in a two-week period. If you were nominated for a specific activity you are only allowed to work within that activity.
- Have Valid Travel Insurance. It’s important to have valid health insurance during the entire time your visa is valid.
- Enter Australia on Time. If you are applying as a family member to join a primary visa holder you cannot enter Australia before the visa holder.
- Leave Australia on Time. Training visa holders must leave Australia in the specified date on their visa grant letter. If you are a family member accompanying the primary applicant your must leave Australia with your family member or before your family member.
- Have a Valid Address. You have to let the Immigration Office know 7 days after you enter Australia about your address. You have to submit this form to the Central Office of Immigration in Australia Capital Territory.
- Not Be Disruptive. You shouldn’t take part in activities that might result in violence, conflict, or harm towards the Australian community or yourself.
- No Further Stay. You can’t stay in Australia after your training visa expires.
- Meet the Criteria for the Visa. You must continue to meet the initial criteria upon which your visa is granted.
- Meet Outstanding Public Interests.