VisaGuide » Australia Visa » Study Visa
List of the study visas for Australia, requirements, fees, and FAQs

Student and training visas are available for anyone who wants to study or follow a particular training in Australia. Visa applicants should know some essential information about the application process pertaining to these visas.

Which Are the Australia Student and Training Visa Types?

There are two main types of Australian student and training visas:

Both of these visa types are temporary and allow the visa holder to stay in Australia for a limited amount of time.

What Are the Requirements for Australia Study Visas?

These are the general requirements for a student visa 500 and training visa 407:

How to Apply for an Australia Study Visas?

In order to apply for a student visa 500 or training visa 407 you need to:

  1. Apply online through an ImmiAccount. You have to create your personal ImmiAccount and apply online for the visa. The ImmiAccount allows you to select the appropriate visa application form and fill it in online, and you can track your application process as it’s reviewed by the Immigration Office.  
  2. Submit your documents. You have to assemble the required documents according to your visa application. Your documents have to be attached to your application via the ImmiAccount. See more details on how to prepare your documents.
  3. Pay the visa fee. The visa fee has to be paid as soon as possible in order to process your visa application. You have to pay through your ImmiAccount using a credit card, PayPal, union pay, or Bpay.

Australia Student Visa and Training Visa Fees

This is the base fee you have to pay for a student visa 500 and training visa 407:

Visa Type Application Fee in AUD
Student Visa 500 630
Training Visa 407 315

The visa fees may increase if you are applying with another person- you can check out the full visa fees here.

Can I Stay Longer?

If you want to stay longer after your student visa is expired, you may be eligible for a temporary graduate visa. You may try to apply for a student visa extension but, extensions are granted only in specific circumstances.

On the other hand, an Australia training visa can’t be extended and if you wish to stay longer after your 407 visa has expired, then you have to apply for a new visa.

What if My Visa Application Is Denied?

If your student visa application or training visa is denied, then you can apply for a review of the denial decision. There is a detailed process you have to follow in cases of visa refusal.

Can I Work as an International Student in Australia?

With a student visa 500, you can work only for a limited amount of time- 40 hours in a two-week period.

A training visa allows you to work for the same amount of time (40 hours for two weeks) only if the work you are doing is correlated to the training you are taking part in.

Do Australia Study Visas Allow Dependents?

You can take your dependents with you on a student dependant visa. You are only allowed to take those family members that the Department of Foreign Affairs considers immediate family members:

  • A spouse or a registered partner.
  • A minor child or your partner’s minor child.

Remember that for your family members you have to submit some extra documents such as their identification documents, their visa application form, parental consent (if applicable), and so on. Also, your dependents have to be covered by your health insurance and they must meet the health requirements and the character requirements.

Subsequent Entrants for Australia Study Visas

In case your family members want to join you after you’ve received your visa, they can apply later on. For a student visa, your family members have to apply for a student visa by using visa form 157A.

For a training visa, your dependents have to apply via temporary work and activity (subsequent entrant, 403, 407, 498).

Can I Get Permanent Residency in Australia as a Student?

You can’t become a permanent resident in Australia via a student visa or a training visa. In order to become a permanent resident in Australia, you have to meet some specific requirements

Did you find this page helpful?
Yes No
Scroll to Top