VisaGuide » Australia Visa » Parent Visa » Subclass 173
Australia temporary contributory parent visa, eligibility criteria, document requirements, the application process and FAQs

You can apply for a Temporary Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 173) if you have a child living in Australia, and you wish to visit them. Your child must be legally and permanently resident in Australia

If you receive the 173 Visa, you can:

  • Live in Australia for up to two years.
  • Work and take a study course.
  • Apply for the 143 Parent Visa, which is a permanent visa.
  • Register for healthcare under the Australian health insurance scheme,

Conditions of the Australian Subclass 173 Parent Visa

You can only apply for a Temporary Contributory Parent Visa if you fulfill the following conditions:

  • You have a child living in Australia, who will sponsor you. Your child must:
    • Be an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen.
    • Be over the age of 18.
    • Be able to cover your living expenses and any debt incurred by you to the Australian Government.
  • You and your child meet the Balance of Family Test. This essentially means that you have more children living in Australia than in any other country.
  • You meet Australian health requirements. To determine whether you meet this qualification, the Australian Immigration Authorities will let you know where you have to get a check up, depending on where you live.
  • You do not have any criminal charges and meet the character requirements for a visa.
  • You do not have a previously refused Australian visa.

Temporary Contributory Parent Visa Requirements Checklist

The required documents for the 173 Visa application include:

  • Your passport.
  • Your birth certificate, which shows the names of both your parents. If you cannot get a hold of your birth certificate, you can submit one of the following documents:
    • Family registration document.
    • A document of identification, issued by a government authority.
    • A document verifying your identity, issued by a court.
    • Another document proving your identity, if you cannot get either of the aforementioned documents.
  • Four recent visa pictures, with 45mm x 35mm and following Australia visa picture guidelines.
  • Sponsorship for Migration to Australia Form 40, completed from the sponsor. You can download it here.
  • Application Form for Parent Visa (Form 47PA). You can download it here.
  • Birth certificates for all people included in the application alongside you.
  • The birth certificates of all your children (living in Australia or elsewhere), showing the names of both parents.
  • Adoption certificate for any adopted children.
  • Proof of relation to your sponsor (if they are not your child).
  • Custody documents for children under 18, if they are applying with only a single parent.
  • Marriage certificate, for any applicant who is married or has been married.
  • Divorce documents, if relevant for any applicant.
  • Death certificate, if any of the applicants is a widow or widower.
  • Documents proving the name change, if relevant to any of the applicants.
  • Proof of military service, if relevant to any of the applicants.
  • Proof of payment of the first installment of the visa fee.

Remember: Documents submitted for an Australian visa application have to be certified by someone working in a select category of professions, either Australian or non-Australian.

Temporary Contributory Parent Visa Application Process (Step by Step)

The step-by-step process for a Contributory Parent Visa 173 is as follows:

  1. Your child completes the Sponsorship for Migration to Australia Form 40 (see here).
  2. You collect the required documents for the 173 Visa.
  3. You mail the documents to your child in Australia.
  4. You or your child/sponsor pay the first instalment of the 173 Visa.
  5. Your child/sponsor submits the documents to the Parent Visa Centre (PVC) of the Department of Home Affairs via prepaid post or by courier. They must attach the completed and signed Sponsorship for Migration to Australia Form to the documents.
  6. Once submitted, the Parent Visa Centre will assess your application eligibility and place the application in a queue for processing.

The process of assessing your visa application is as follows:

  1. You apply for the visa and pay the first installment of the fee.
  2. The PVC will review your eligibility for the visa.
  3. If you are eligible, they place your application on the processing queue.
  4. You wait until a place opens up. This is the part that takes the longest.
  5. Once it is your turn and a place has opened up, the PVC will start the final processing place for your visa.
  6. You pay the second instalment of the visa fee.
  7. You receive the visa.

How Much Does the Temporary Contributory Parent Visa Cost?

The overall cost for a Temporary Contributory Parent Visa starts from AUD 31,930. The fees for most Australian Immigration Visas consist of two installments, and for the 173 Visa:

  • You have to pay an initial instalment of about AUD 2,850.
    • AUD 1,425 for each additional applicant over 18 years of age.
    • AUD [table “” not found /]

      for each additional applicant under 18 years of age.
  • Once your visa has been processed, you will pay the second instalment. The Department of Home Affairs will notify you about how much you have to pay, but it is significantly higher than the first instalment.

There is another less expensive option, the Parent Visa 103, but the processing time for this type of visa is significantly higher – it can take up to 30 years to reach a decision.

Processing Time for the Subclass 173 Visa

It takes approximately 58 months (over four and a half years) for your 173 Parent Contributory Visa to be fully processed. This type of visa is subject to a queue, so it will be assessed twice before you receive it.

Because the Parent Visas for Australia are subject to capping and queuing (only about 4,500 parent visas were planned for the 2020-21 Migration year), the time it takes for you to receive your 173 Visa depends on several factors. This includes the number of applications submitted, whether someone withdrew their application, how many applications are refused, etc.

Can I Be in Australia When I Submit the Application?

Yes, you can also apply for the 173 Visa from inside Australia, unless you are there with an 870 Sponsored Family Visa or another temporary visa with a “no further stay” condition.

If you have a Subclass 870 Visa, you have to wait until it expires, travel back to your home country and apply for the 173 Visa from there.

If you have a temporary visa, you may apply for a waiver of the “no further stay” condition at the Department of Home Affairs.

Can I Be in Australia When I Receive the Visa?

If you submitted your application after 24 March 2021, then you must be out of the country when you receive the 173 Visa.  You can only be in Australia when you get the visa if:

  • You submitted your application before 24 March 2021.
  • You were already in Australia on 24 March 2021.

How Long Can I Stay in Australia With a 173 Visa?

The 173 Contributory Parent Visa allows you to stay in Australia for a maximum of two years. You cannot renew it. Instead, you have to apply for another type of visa if you want to extend your time in Australia.

Does the 173 Visa Lead to Permanent Residence?

No, the 173 Visa itself does not lead to permanent residence. However, if you have this visa, you can apply for the Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 143), which is a permanent visa type. Make sure that you submit the application for the Permanent Contributory Parent Visa before the 173 Visa expires.

Can I Work With a Contributory Parent Visa 173?

Yes, you can work in Australia if you hold a Contributory Parent Visa 173. You can also take a study course, for the duration your visa is valid.

Can I Travel Outside Australia If I Have a Visa 173?

Yes, as long as the 173 Visa is valid, you can travel in and out of Australia.

Can I Sponsor Other Family Members to Join Me?

Once you receive the visa, you cannot use your immigration status to sponsor other family members to come to Australia, because the 173 Visa is a temporary visa. However, you can include your family unit in your application.

Who Can I Include in my 173 Visa Application?

When applying for the 173 Visa, you can apply alongside your close family members, which are:

  • Your spouse or partner.
  • Your child or your partner’s child. The child must not be married, engaged or in a de facto relationship and:
    • Must be under the age of 18; or
    • Must be between the ages of 18 and 23 years and is dependent on you or your partner; or
    • Must be over the age of 23 and is dependent on you or your partner due to a partial or total disability (physical or mental).
  • The dependent child of your child.
Did you find this page helpful?
Yes No
Scroll to Top