Australia business owner visa 890 is a permanent type of visa in the business visa category suitable for business owners that operate their company in Australia. In order to get a visa 890, you must already have had a valid visa in Australia.
Who Can Apply for a Business Owner Visa 890?
You can apply for this visa if you hold one of these:
- Business Owner Provisional visa- subclass 160.
- Senior Executive Provisional visa- subclass 161.
- Investor Provisional visa- subclass 162.
- State/Territory Sponsored Business Owner Provisional visa- subclass 163.
- State/Territory Sponsored Senior Executive Provisional visa- subclass 164.
- State/Territory Sponsored Investor Provisional visa- subclass 165.
In order to qualify for an owner visa 890, you must have been living under one of the above-mentioned visas for at least 12 months in the 2 years immediately before you lodge your 890 visa application. The required one-year period doesn’t have to be continuous.
You must also meet the following conditions:
- For at least two years before you apply for the visa, you have owned or managed a business in Australia.
- For your current visa, you or your partner (including your former partner) must have met the eligibility criteria when your visa was issued.
Document Checklist for a Business Owner Visa 890
Provide the documents listed below when you apply for your visa 890:
- A scanned coloured copy of your passport pages with all the information details. You may also be asked to provide an ID card or any certificate that proves your name change, in case you did change your name.
- Business owner visa application form 47BU.
- Form 927.
- Form 1217 for your business skills profile.
- Two recent identity photographs. You must also present pictures for every additional applicant in your application. Your photographs are required to follow specific guidelines.
- Overview of career and business activities (summary pages, outlines, a statement outlining your business activities in Australia, and so on).
- A summary of 2 pages or less detailing the following:
- Your businesses in Australia and length of ownership for that business.
- The business activities you did while in Australia.
- A description of your management duties 2 years before applying.
- Your net business assets and net personal assets in Australia proving that you, your partner, or combined have at least AUD250,000 for one year before your application.
- Details of your business turnover
- The number of employees and their citizenship status and relationship to you (if applicable).
- Proof that you legally own the business.
- Proof of purchase, if you bought the business.
- Evidence that you established the business (if applicable).
- A one-page organisational chart for every business. The chart must show your role in the company, staff responsibilities, duties, and so on.
- Maximum 6 pictures of your business grounds.
- Evidence of your daily involvement in the business for at least two years before your application (decision-making process, delegating duties, management roles, and responsibilities, etc.)
- Proof of how you managed the business in case you were away for more than 6 weeks (during the two-year period).
- Australian Business Number (ABN) for every business.
- Business Activity Statements (BAS) for every business and every quarter.
- Financial statements for all your businesses. Your statements must cover the beginning and end of a one-year period at least three months before you submit your visa application.
- Proof that for at least one year before you applied your business employed two full-time or part-time employees working at least 30 hours per week. You must also submit evidence that you paid the employees at the federal minimum wage or Award rate in Australia. If you can, provide evidence of their residence status or citizenship in Australia.
- Evidence of English language proficiency. This is required for your family members who are 18 or older and don’t have an eligible visa when you apply with them for the 890 visa. You are not required to submit evidence if your dependents are holders of a passport from these countries:
- the United Kingdom
- the Republic of Ireland
- the United States
- New Zealand
- Proof of a good character. You are also required to submit for each person in your application, Australian police certificate. This is required in cases where your family members have spent at least a year in Australia during the last 10 years since they turned 16. Submit only National Police Certificates issued by the Australian Federal Police-any other certificates won’t be accepted.
- Form 80 for particulars and character assessment.
- Form 1221 for additional personal particulars.
- Provide proof you meet the health requirements. The department may ask for a health examination before they can make a final decision on your visa application.
- If you want to appoint someone as a recipient for your application form 956a, if you are using a migration agent then use form 956.
- Sign Australia’s Values Statement.
- Meet the health requirements. You are also advised to have valid health insurance.
- If you are bringing family members with you then include:
- Their identification
- Birth certificates
- Marriage license
- Divorce license
- Adoption papers
- Proof of dependency
- Please keep in mind the following when you submit your documents:
- If you are required to provide documents issued at least three months prior to your application, then you must use the same date for every document.
- Your documents must be in English or provide translated versions alongside the original documents.
- All of your bank and financial accounts have to include a detailed balance sheet, profit and loss statement, and all notes to the accounts.
- You should use an accountant in accordance with the Australian Accounting Standards to prepare your financials.
- Provide all documentation that supports your claims, including audited financial statements otherwise, a visa decision may be final without requesting additional information or clarification.
How to Apply for a Business Owner Visa 890?
You can only apply on paper for visa 890 and you must pay the application fee before you submit your application because your visa won’t be taken into processing without the fee.
You are required to send by post or via courier application only to the Adelaide Business Skills Processing Centre, if you send your application at any other office, then your application won’t be taken into consideration.
Please note that you must be in Australia when you apply for a visa 890. In case you are including family members, they can be overseas at the time of application, but, they can’t apply if they are in Immigration clearance.
How Long Can I Stay With a Business Visa 890?
You can stay with a visa 890 permanently, and you are granted a permanent residence status the day the visa is granted. However, Australian permanent visas are issued with a travel expiry date. You can only travel freely for 5 years, after which you have to apply for a resident return visa so you can keep your permanent residence status.
If you don’t want to apply for resident return visas you may apply for Australian citizenship. For your citizenship application, your permanent residence is counted since the day the visa is issued if you are in Australia, in case you are overseas, then the permanent resident visa begins when you arrive in Australia.
How Much Is a Business Owner Visa 890?
A visa 890 costs AUD2,450 for the main applicant. You have to pay an extra fee for every family member. In case your additional applicants who are over 18, do not have proof of functional English and don’t hold a valid visa when you apply, then you have to pay a second installment charge. You will be sent an invoice regarding the second installment and you don’t have to pay for it unless you are specifically asked to do so. The second installment fee is AUD4,890.
Please note that If you pay the wrong amount your application will be sent back to you.
How Long Does It Take to Get a Business Visa 890?
There is no definite time on how long it takes to process your 890 visa application since each application is assessed individually. However, if you submit your application without all the required documents then the processing time will take longer.
Can I Include Family Members Under a Business Visa 890?
Yes, provided that they are your immediate family members:
- Minor Child
- Partner’s child
- Dependent child over 18
Your family members should have an eligible visa that was granted on the grounds that they were your family member at the time when you applied for your previous visa. If a family member no longer meets the eligibility criteria, i.e., they turned 23 years since their visa was granted, they might still be eligible to apply with you for an 890 visa.
Your family members can be included when you initially apply for the 890 visa or you may add them after you submit your application, but, only before a decision is made on your visa application. Your family members must meet the character and health requirements when they apply with you.
Can I Travel With a Business Visa 890?
You can travel freely for 5 years with an 890 visa. Afterward, your travel grant will expire and you must have a valid resident return visa or be an Australian citizen.
Business Owner Visa 890 Denial
The Immigration Office will send you a written notice specifying whether you can ask for a review of their decision or not. If you are eligible for a denial appeal, then you have to send a request to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT).