The Tajikistan visa policy requires that almost everyone who intends to enter the country must apply for a visa prior to travelling. However, the Tajikistan government has implemented a facilitated application process, enabling most nationalities to get a visa entirely online.
Do I Need a Tajikistan Visa?
Yes, you likely do need a Tajikistan visa before being allowed to enter the country. Only citizens of the following countries can stay in Tajikistan visa-free (for the specified period of time):
- Belarus (Unlimited)
- Georgia (Unlimited)
- Kazakhstan (Unlimited)
- Kyrgyzstan (Unlimited)
- Moldova (Unlimited)
- Russia (Unlimited)
- Armenia (Up to 90 days)
- Azerbaijan (Up to 90 days)
- Ukraine (Up to 90 days)
- Uzbekistan (Up to 30 days)
Types of Tajikistan Visas
The types of visas for Tajikistan are:
- Tajikistan Tourist Visa. This type of visa is issued to foreign nationals travelling for simply tourism or recreational purposes. Most people can apply for a Tajikistan tourist visa online, without an invitation.
- Tajikistan Business Visa. Issued to foreign nationals travelling to Tajikistan with the intention of conducting business, such as attending meetings, conferences, a symposium, conclude contracts, etc. A letter of invitation from the hosting company is required. This does not allow the holder to actually be employed in a Tajiki company.
- Tajikistan Private Visa. Issued to foreign nationals who are visiting family or friends in Tajikistan, travelling for medical treatment, or other short-term purposes.
- Tajikistan Investment Visa. Issued to the representatives or heads of companies making a large investment in Tajikistan, as well as the family members of the main applicant.
- Tajikistan Work Visa. This visa is issued to foreign nationals who have been employed in a Tajikistan-based company, as well as the family members of the main applicant.
- Tajikistan Study/Academic Visa. Issued to foreign nationals admitted into an educational institution in Tajikistan, post-graduate students, doctorate students, as well as the family members of the main applicant
How To Apply for a Tajikistan Visa?
You can apply for a Tajikistan visa in one of the following ways:
- Online, through the official Tajikistan eVisa portal
- At an Embassy or Consulate, if you are not eligible for the eVisa
Applying for a Tajikistan eVisa
You can apply for a Tajikistan eVisa through the official website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (here). This is a simplified process, wherein you have to:
- Complete the online application form.
- Pay the Tajikistan eVisa fee. Fees are non-refundable.
- Wait for the visa to be processed. This takes about two working days. You will receive the Tajikistan eVisa on your email.
- Print out the visa and bring it with you when you travel.
Visa type: The Tajikistan eVisa is issued only for tourism.
Eligible border crossings: You can enter Tajikistan through any airport or border crossing using an eVisa.
Tajikistan eVisa cost: The Tajikistan eVisa fee is USD 50. If also applying for a GBAO permit, the cost is about USD 70. The GBAO Permit allows the holder entry to the Gorno-Badakhshan Autonomous Region.
Required documents: When you apply for a Tajikistan eVisa, the requirements will appear once you fill in the sections regarding your nationality and travel dates. You always need a passport that’s valid for at least another six months.
Validity: The Tajikistan eVisa allows the holder to stay in the country for up to 60 days. The visa is single-entry and valid for 90 after it is issued.
Eligibility: You can apply for a Tajikistan eVisa if you are from one of the following countries:
|An EU Member State||Albania||Algeria|
|Andorra||Angola||Antigua and Barbuda|
|Benin||Bolivia||Bosnia and Herzegovina|
|Morocco||New Zealand||North Macedonia|
|Panama||Papua New Guinea||Paraguay|
|Saint Kitts and Nevis||Saint Lucia||Saint Vincent and the Grenadines|
|San Marino||Saudi Arabia||Senegal|
|South Africa||South Korea||Sri Lanka|
|Thailand||Trinidad and Tobago||Tunisia|
|Turkey||Turkmenistan||United Arab Emirates|
|United Kingdom||United States||Uruguay|
Requirements for Tajikistan Visa
The requirements for getting a Tajikistan visa are:
- You must have a passport that’s valid for at least another six months from the date of entry.
- You must have a valid debit/credit card for paying the visa fee.
- You must have a clean criminal record
- You must be from one of the countries eligible for an eVisa
- You must have any other additional documents required (depending on your nationality)
The requirements for obtaining a Tajikistan visa at the embassy depend on the country in which you are applying. You will need an invitation letter from a tour agency, an individual in Tajikstan, or a host company/organization.
Applying for a Tajikistan Visa at the Embassy
If you are not eligible for a Tajikistan eVisa, then you can get the visa at the nearest Embassy/Consulate or even on arrival. This is a two-step process, which requires an online and in-person application:
- Register on the Tajikistan Visa website of the MFA (here). This is not the same as the eVisa!
- Select your nationality and which Embassy you will receive your visa in. If there is no diplomatic mission of Tajikistan, you have the option of getting the visa on arrival.
- Complete the visa form.
- Attach the required documents. You need a scanned copy of your passport, an invitation letter from a tour company in Tajikistan, and a 5×6 picture of yourself. If travelling for business, you need a letter of invitation from the company hosting you.
- Pay for the visa. The fee for a Tajikistan visa changes depending on your nationality.
- Wait for the visa to process. This usually takes about 5 working days.
- You will receive the confirmation on your email.
- Take the printed confirmation letter to the Tajikistan Embassy which you selected to get your visa or take it with you to apply on arrival, depending on your selection.
The Tajikistan diplomatic missions are listed here.
Is a Tajikistan Visa on Arrival Available?
You can get your Tajikistan visa on arrival if you get an electronic authorization beforehand. However, according to the International Air Transport Association (IATA), citizens of the following countries can obtain a Tajikistan Visa on Arrival at the Dushanbe Airport even without prior authorization:
- EU and EFTA Member States
- South Korea
- New Zealand
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- United States
- United Arab Emirates
There is a lot of conflicting information online regarding the Tajikistan Visa on Arrival. While the IATA and previous travellers claim that such a visa is available at Dushanbe Airport, there is really no mention of it on any of the official Tajiki websites. If you do decide to apply for a visa on arrival, then consult with an Embassy before you actually travel.
Note: This is not the same as obtaining a Tajiki Visa at the airport after completing an online application first.
Tajikistan Visa Duration
The most common type of Tajikistan visa (the eVisa) is valid for a maximum of 90 days from issuance. It allows you to stay up to 60 days in Tajikistan within its validity period.
You can apply for a visa with a different duration at the nearest Tajikistan Embassy or Consulate.
Can You Extend a Tajikistan Visa?
You cannot extend a Tajikistan tourist visa except in extraordinary circumstances (force majeure).
If you have another type of Tajiki visa which you want to extend, you have to submit e request at the Main Consular Department of the Tajikistan Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Your current visa must still be valid and you need the relevant documents supporting your request for an extension.