When applying for a visa to Taiwan, you must have several supporting documents with you. The Taiwan visa requirements differ from country to country as well as depending on the purpose of your travel. But there is a standard list of documents everyone must have.
However, not everyone needs a visa to visit Taiwan – some can travel there with simply their passport and flight tickets for stays of up to 14, 21, 30, or 90 days. The time you can spend in Taiwan without a visa depends on your nationality.
If you do need a visa, you must apply for one from your country of residence before you intend to travel. This article will detail the Taiwan visa requirements for standard visas, eVisas, as well as visa-free travel.
What are the Taiwan Visa Requirements?
The Taiwan visa requirements include:
- Completed Taiwan Visa Application Form
- Original passport
- Passport-size pictures
- Travel itinerary/travel ticket
- Proof of accommodation in Taiwan
- Proof of sufficient financial means
- Employment status documents
- Taiwan visa fee
- Specific documents for minors
- Additional documents depending on the purpose of travel
Taiwan Visa Application Form
The Taiwan visa requirement is completing the application form. You must complete the form online, print it, sign it and submit it to the Taiwan diplomatic representation (see document submission requirements below) along with the other documents.
You can complete the Taiwan visa application form here. You’ll have to answer questions such as:
- Your personal details: name, nationality, gender, birth date and place, marital status, details of your spouse (if any), employment status, address, contact details, etc.
- The details of your passport: issue/expiry date, type of passport, and passport number.
- The type of visa you want
- Which Taiwanese diplomatic mission you will submit the visa application to.
- Details regarding the purpose of your travel
- Contact information of your host/contact in Taiwan
- Whether you are submitting an application on someone else’s behalf.
You have to submit your original passport, which should be valid for at least another six months starting from the time you enter Taiwan. The passport must also have at least three blank pages which the Taiwanese authorities will use to affix your visa and the entry and exit stamps.
You may also be required to submit photocopies of the relevant pages on your passport, such as your personal information, issue, and expiry date, and previous visas.
Some diplomatic missions may also ask for previous visas if you had any.
Along with your application, you should submit two recent pictures of yourself, taken within the last six months, which follow these specifications:
- Dimensions: 35mm by 45mm without a border
- Your face must take up 70% – 80% of the picture. Must include the tops of your shoulders.
- Colored picture, printed on high-quality photo paper
- White background without any patterns
- Your expression:
- You must have a neutral facial expression, with the mouth closed
- You must stare ahead, with a straight head position (not tilted)
- Your eyes must be fully open and visible
- Your attire:
- No white tops
- No flashy jewelry
- No headgear, unless it is for religious purposes. Even so, it cannot obstruct your face at all.
- Eyeglasses are not recommended. However, if you must wear them make sure they do not cover your face or eyes at any capacity. No tinted glasses!
- The picture must be high quality, without any blurriness, over- or under-exposure, or glare.
Travel itinerary/travel ticket
As part of the Taiwan visa requirements, you should include a confirmed flight ticket showing the dates of entry and departure from Taiwan.
Proof of accommodation in Taiwan
You must give proof of where you intend to stay while you are in Taiwan. This could be a confirmed hotel reservation, a letter from your host (if you are visiting someone), or another type of tourist accommodation.
Proof of sufficient financial means
Part of the Taiwan visa requirements is also being able to prove you can financially support yourself while you stay there.
You must submit original bank statements from the last six months, bearing the bank’s stamp and showing adequate balance.
Employment status documents
Depending on your status of employment, you have to submit:
- A letter from your employer confirming your employment, signed and sealed. You may also be required to submit recent payslips.
- A letter from your school, if you are a student, confirming your enrollment and a school ID card.
- Documents proving you are self-employed.
Taiwan visa fee
All visa applicants have to pay a Taiwan visa fee. However, the method of payment changes depending on the specific Taiwanese diplomatic mission. Some may require payment by bank while others only accept visa fee payment in exact cash.
Specific requirements for minors
Minors (under 18 years of age), should also submit their original birth certificate. The parent/s or legal guardian/s have to sign the Taiwan visa application form on their behalf.
If the minor is traveling alone, they also need a letter of authorization from both parents or legal guardians allowing the minor to travel, along with copies of their IDs.
If the minor is traveling with only one parent, a letter of consent from the other parent is required.
If an interview is required, both parents have to be present there.
If one of the parents is not around (eg. divorce or death) include proof of the reason, such as custody papers or a death certificate.
Additional documents depending on the purpose of travel
Based on the reason you are traveling to Taiwan, you may have to submit additional documents, such as:
- If you are traveling for business: An Invitation Letter from the company in Taiwan, and, if relevant, a letter from your company stating they will cover the costs of your trip
- If you will visit friends/family members: An Invitation Letter from your host along with copies of their passports
For more, please see Taiwan visa requirements for:
- Requirements for Taiwan Visitor Visas
- Requirements for Taiwan Work Visa
- Requirements for Taiwan Student Visa
- Requirements for Taiwan Family Reunion Visa
- Requirements for Taiwan Entrepreneur Visa
- Requirements for Taiwan Working Holiday Visa
Where do I Submit the Taiwan Visa Required Documents?
Once you complete the online part of the application, you must collect the documents and submit them all in person at a Taiwan diplomatic mission within 30 days. You choose the diplomatic in which you will submit the documents from a dropdown menu as you complete the online application form.
You should submit the documents to a Taiwanese diplomatic mission in your country. If there is none, you should go to the nearest one.
Taiwan eVisa Requirements
If you are eligible for a Taiwan eVisa, you must attach an electronic copy of your passport, a digital picture, and make the Taiwan visa fee payment via credit card.
However, you should also have to collect the following documents, even if you don’t have to attach them, because the immigration officers at the entry point in Taiwan may ask to see them before they allow you entry:
- Travel ticket
- Proof of accommodation
- Proof of financial means
- Invitation letter (if applicable)
The Taiwan government allows foreigners from certain nationalities to apply for a Taiwan visa online. The online application is easier because it does not require you to appear before any diplomatic mission – you receive your visa via email, which you can print and use it to enter Taiwan.
Taiwan Landing Visa Requirements
If you are eligible for a Taiwan Landing Visa, you must fulfill the following requirements:
- Have a confirmed travel ticket for departing Taiwan.
- Have a valid visa for the next country of destination (if required).
- Pay the visa fee (NT$ 1,600) and the handling fee (NT$ 800). Turkish nationals are exempt from the visa fees.
- Not have any criminal record and not be prohibited by the local authorities.
You are eligible for a Taiwan Landing visa if you are from Turkey or you have an emergency or temporary passports issued by a visa-exempt country.
Taiwan Visa-free Travel Requirements
If you are allowed visa-free travel to Taiwan, you must have the following documents with you upon arrival:
- Your passport, with a validity of at least six months from the date of entry and at least two blank pages for the entry and exit stamps.
- A confirmed travel ticket (air or ferry) showing you intend to leave Taiwan by the time your visa-free travel ends.
- If you are from Brunei, the Philippines, Russia, and Thailand, you also need:
- Proof of accommodation in Taiwan
- Contact information from your contact or host in Taiwan
- Proof of sufficient travel funds