VisaGuide » Asia » Singapore Visa » Work Passes » Miscellaneous Work Pass
Complete guide to obtaining a Miscellaneous work pass for Singapore

Anyone who intends to work in Singapore needs to obtain a Singapore work permit or pass, as applicable to their skill-set or intended work.

If you have to travel to Singapore because you have to take part in a short-term work assignment (up to 60 days), you will need to obtain a Miscellaneous Work Pass.

Who Can get a Miscellaneous Work Pass?

You can get a Miscellaneous Work Pass if you are a foreign national who falls under one of the categories below:

  • You are one of the organizers of a seminar, conference, workshop or gathering, which:
    • Is of a religious nature (directly or indirectly).
    • Is related to a race or community (directly or indirectly).
    • Is of a political nature (directly or indirectly), and you are a speaker, moderator, facilitator or trainer.
  • You are a religious worker and will be giving a talk related to religion (directly or indirectly).
  • You are a reporter or journalist (or crew member of one) who will be writing a story or covering an event in Singapore.

Conditions of the Miscellaneous Work Pass

  • In order for your Miscellaneous Work Pass to be considered, you have to be sponsored or employed by a Singapore-based organization or society.
  • If you hold a Miscellaneous Work Pass, you can only work for a maximum of 60 days.
  • You are only allowed to work at the venue and date which your employer or sponsor stated when they made the application.
  • If any changes are made to the event, such as the date, program, venue, or the outline, your employer has to notify the Ministry of Manpower at least one month beforehand.
  • The Miscellaneous Work Pass cannot be renewed.
  • Your employer does not have to pay a monthly levy for you, nor are they subject to quotas regarding the number of Miscellaneous Work Pass holders they hire.

What are the Requirements for a Miscellaneous Work Pass?

When your employer or sponsor makes the Miscellaneous Work Pass application, they will need to hand in several supporting documents, such as:

  • The completed and signed Miscellaneous Work Pass Application Form.
  • A picture of you which is in line with Singapore photo requirements. The picture has to be affixed to the Application Form.
  • A detailed outline/synopsis of the event (if applicable).
  • Photocopy of the personal details page of your passport.
  • A photocopy of the most recent business profile, instant information or registration papers of the company/organisation which is sponsoring or employing you. The company must be registered with the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA).

All documents that you submit have to be in English. If they are not, you must submit the original documents along with a translation done by an official translator.

How to Apply for a Miscellaneous Work Pass?

Your sponsor or employer in Singapore has to submit the Miscellaneous Work Pass application on your behalf. They must do this at least two months before you are scheduled to travel. You do not have to be in Singapore when they make the application or while it is being processed.

You should only travel to Singapore after the application is approved.

Before your employer or sponsor submits the application, you must write them a letter of consent. The letter must state that you agree for them to submit the Miscellaneous Work Pass application on your behalf and (if applicable) you agree to be employed by them.

They will be asked to show the consent letter when they submit the application, which is done over the counter at a SingPost branch.

The application process for the Miscellaneous Work Pass is as follows:

  • Your employer or sponsor downloads, completes and signs the Miscellaneous Work Pass Application Form (which is available on MOM’s website.)
  • They include the necessary documents that are listed on the application form (see below).
  • They submit the application form and the documents over the counter at a SingPost branch (Singapore’s post offices).
  • They must pay the application processing fee (S$175), and keep the payment receipt, which serves as proof of submission.
    • If they are applying for a Miscellaneous Work Pass for more than one person, they must pay an individual fee for each of the passes.

The Miscellaneous Work Pass application usually takes about two months to be processed, which is why you have to apply in advance. However, your employer/sponsor can use the Ministry of Manpower’s online application system to check on the status of the application within one week.

After your application is approved, they will email an approval letter to the person your employer stated as a contact person in the email.

In addition to the Miscellaneous Work Pass, you will also need a Short Term Visit Pass, which you will receive by the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) after you land in Singapore. If you are subject to Singapore visas, you will also have to apply for a Singapore visa to be allowed to travel to Singapore in the first place.

Note: The Miscellaneous Work Pass has replaced what was known as a Professional Visit Pass (PVP) for Singapore. Performing artists, which used to be eligible for the PVP, now have to apply for a Work Permit for Performing Artiste instead.

Did you find this page helpful?
Yes No
Scroll to Top