If you want to travel to Kyrgyzstan, you may have to apply for a visa.
The Kyrgyzstan visa policy allows visa-free entry to citizens of several Asian and EU countries. Visas on arrival and eVisas are also available for up to 60 days.
Anyone who is not visa exempt or cannot apply for a visa on arrival, will need a sponsor in Kyrgyzstan to get them a visa authorization.
Find the Kyrgyzstan visa policy detailed below.
Who Can Travel to Kyrgyzstan Without a Visa?
Citizens of the following countries can stay in Kyrgyzstan without a visa for an indefinite period of time:
- North Korea
Citizens of the following countries can stay in Kyrgyzstan without a visa for up to 90 days:
Citizens of the following countries can stay in Kyrgyzstan without a visa for up to 60 days:
- EU Member States (except Bulgaria, Cyprus and Romania)
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- New Zealand
- San Marino
- Saudi Arabia
- South Korea
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom
- United States
- Vatican City
Citizens of Malaysia and Turkey countries can stay in Kyrgyzstan without a visa for up to 30 days.
Ways to Apply for a Kyrgyzstan Visa
You can apply for a Kyrgyzstan visa in one of the following ways:
- On arrival, at Manas International Airport
- Online, through the official government website
- At one of the Embassies or Consulates of Kyrgyzstan abroad
Applying for a Kyrgyzstan Visa on Arrival
You can get a Kyrgyzstan Visa on Arrival at Manas International Airport – valid for the specified amount of time – if you are from one of the following countries:
- EU Member States (except Cyprus, Bulgaria and Romania) – for 60 days.
- Albania – for 30 days.
- Andorra – for 30 days.
- Argentina – for 30 days.
- Australia – for 60 days.
- Bahrain – for 60 days.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina – for 60 days.
- Brazil – for 30 days.
- Brunei – for 60 days.
- Bulgaria – for 30 days.
- Canada – for 60 days.
- Chile – for 30 days.
- Cyprus – for 30 days.
- Iceland – for 60 days.
- Indonesia – for 30 days.
- Israel – for 30 days.
- Kuwait – for 60 days.
- Liechtenstein – for 60 days.
- Mexico – for 30 days.
- Monaco – for 60 days.
- Montenegro – for 30 days.
- New Zealand – for 60 days.
- North Macedonia – for 30 days.
- Norway – for 60 days.
- Oman – for 30 days.
- Philippines – for 30 days.
- Qatar – for 60 days.
- Romania – for 30 days.
- San Marino – for 30 days.
- Saudi Arabia – for 60 days.
- Singapore – for 60 days.
- South Africa – for 30 days.
- South Korea – for 60 days.
- Switzerland – for 60 days.
- Thailand – for 30 days.
- The United Kingdom – for 60 days.
- The United States – for 60 days.
- United Arab Emirates – for 60 days.
- Uzbekistan – for 60 days.
- Vatican City – for 60 days.
- Venezuela – for 30 days.
You can apply for a visa at the Visa Office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kyrgyz Republic at the Manas Airport in Bishkek.
Applying for a Kyrgyzstan Visa Online (Kyrgyzstan eVisa)
You have to apply for a Kyrgyzstan eVisa through the official government website.
- Access the website here.
- Check whether you are eligible to apply for the Kyrgyzstan eVisa. There is a “Do I Need a Visa” section under the Information tab. Generally, if you are visa-exempt or eligible for the Visa on Arrival, then you can also apply for a Kyrgyzstan eVisa.
- Start the application. Click on the “Apply for a visa” button on the homepage.
- Attach the scanned copy of your passport and a passport-size picture.
- Pay the eVisa fee with your credit or debit card.
- Wait for the visa to be processed. This can take around a week. In the meantime, you will receive a confirmation on your email, and you can also check the status of your visa application.
You can use the eVisa at the following entry points to Kyrgyzstan:
- Manas International Airport
- Osh International Airport
- Chon Kapka
- Chaldybar- border crossing
- Ak-Jol border crossing
- Ak-Tilek border crossing
- Dostuk border crossing
- Kyzyl-Bel border crossing
- Kulundu border crossing
- Bor-Dobo border crossing
- Irkeshtam border crossing
- Torugart border crossing
Applying for a Kyrgyzstan Visa at an Embassy
If you are not eligible for the visa on arrival, eVisa, or visa-exempt, you have to apply for a Kyrgyzstan Visa at a Kyrgyz Embassy. In addition, you also need a sponsor to get you an authorization letter from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Kyrgyzstan.
Who can be a sponsor?
Your sponsor for the Kyrgyzstan visa can be:
- Your host
- A company or organization
- A travel agency in Kyrgyzstan
Your sponsor has to contact the Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Kyrgyzstan to receive your authorization letter. Only when you receive the letter, you can contact the Kyrgyz Embassy in your country to apply for the visa.
What if there is no Kyrgyz Embassy in your country?
If there is no Kyrgyz Embassy in your country, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs advises that you can apply to the Visa Office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs at the Manas Airport in Bishkek once you arrive.
Naturally, you would need to have your documents and the visa authorization letter with you.
However, if you are from the countries not eligible to apply for a visa on arrival, then you should double-check with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, your sponsor, or an embassy of Kyrgyzstan before you travel.
Requirements for Kyrgyzstan Visa Application
The Kyrgyzstan visa requirements are:
- Authorization letter from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.*
- Completed visa application form.
- One passport size picture of yourself, attached to the visa application form.
- Your passport. It must be valid for at least another 90 days after the visa expires and have at least one more blank visa page.
- Payment for the Kyrgyzstan visa fee. The visa fee changes depending on your country, the purpose of your visit, and whether it is a single-entry or multiple-entry visa.
- Proof of travel arrangements, such as your flight ticket and proof of accommodation.
- If you are applying by mail: A pre-paid self-addressed envelope, so that the Embassy can return your documents.
*Those who are exempt from visa requirements or eligible for the visa on arrival do not need a visa authorization letter.
Kyrgyzstan Visa Fee
The cost of a Kyrgyzstan visa depends on the reason for your trip, how many times you are allowed to use it, as well as from what country you are applying. For example, in the US, the Kyrgyzstan visa fees are:
- USD 40 for a one-month single-entry tourist visa.
- USD 60 for one-month single-entry business, private, or study visa.
- USD 70 for a one-month multiple-entry visa.
How Long Does It Take to Get a Kyrgyzstan Visa?
Once you submit the complete set of documents, including the visa authorization, it usually takes about 7 working days for the Embassy to process your visa application. If you are applying by mail, take into account the time it will take for the documents to be mailed back and forth and apply well in advance of your intended trip.
What Is the Duration of a Kyrgyzstan Visa?
A Kyrgyzstan tourist visa is issued with a validity of 90 days. Within this time, you can enter Kyrgyzstan and stay there for a maximum of 30 days.
Kyrgyzstan tourist visas can be issued for single, double, or multiple entries.
Depending on the reason for travelling, you can get a visa with a longer duration, for up to six months or one year. If you intend to live in Kyrgyzstan long-term, you have to exchange your visa for a residence permit at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs once you enter the country.
Can You Extend a Kyrgyzstan Visa?
You have to contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Kyrgyzstan to get a visa extension. For the visa extension, you will need at least the following:
- Your passport, along with a copy of your passport and visa
- A letter stating the reason you need a visa extension
- A passport-size picture
- Payment for an extension fee
You have to apply for an extension at least ten days before your visa expires.
Types of Kyrgyzstan Visas
The most common types of visas for Kyrgyzstan are:
- Kyrgyzstan Tourist Visa. This type of visa is issued to foreign nationals who intend to visit Kyrgyzstan for a short period of time for tourism purposes.
- Kyrgyzstan Business Visa. This type of visa is issued to foreign nationals who intend to enter Kyrgyzstan for business purposes, such as for negotiations, to attend a conference, or a sporting event organized by a Kyrgyz organization or a government institution.
- Kyrgyzstan Study Visa. This type of visa allows the holder to remain in the country if they are enrolled in a Kyrgyz higher education institution.
- Kyrgyzstan Work Visa. You can apply for a Kyrgyzstan Work Visa if you have found employment in Kyrgyzstan and have obtained a work permit. Your employer arranges this for you.
- Kyrgyzstan Private Visa. A Private Visa for Kyrgyzstan is issued to foreigners who will enter the country for short-term purposes, such as to visit relatives, seek medical treatment, or even to marry a Kyrgyz national or for a family reunion. These types of visas do not allow the holder to work in Kyrgyzstan.