VisaGuide » Asia » Israel Visa » A1 Visa
Complete guide to obtaing a Temporary Resident Visa for Israel, the required documents and FAQs

The A/1 visa permits its holder to experience Israel before making the commitment of becoming Israeli citizens. The applicant should have completed the examination process for Aliya before applying for this visa.

Who Can Apply for A/1 Temporary Resident visa?

All people eligible for immigration under the Law of Return can apply for an A/1 Temporary Resident Visa. Which means you will need to fall into one of the following categories in order to qualify:

  • You are of Jewish roots.
  • You are an official convert to Judaism.
  • You are married to a Jew.

Anyone who has Israeli parents (e.g. an Ezrach Oleh) is not eligible to apply for temporary resident (A-1) status. By law, those who qualify for Israeli citizenship must apply for an Israeli passport.

How to Apply for an A/1 Visa for Israel?

When applying for an A/1 Temporary Resident visa for Israel, you will need to complete several procedures and meet certain requirements. Based on how you complete the application process the Israel authorities representing Israel in your country of residence will make a decision on your application.

You must complete these procedures with the utmost attention, in order to make sure you get the visa. Following find the application procedures for an A/1 visa listed in order and clearly explained.

When to Apply for an A/1 Visa?

Apply for an A/1 Visa to Israel between one to two months prior to the intended date of your trip. Make sure you meet all of the requirements at the time of application.

Where to Apply for an A/1 Visa?

To apply for an A/1 Visa you will need to submit your completed application file at the competent authorities in your country of residence for Israeli visa admission. This could be one of the following:

  • The Embassy of Israel
  • A Consulate of Israel
  • A third-party visa processing center to which Israel has outsourced visa admission

Check with the embassy of Israel in your country of residence for this information before you start the application procedures.

Complete the A/1 Visa Application Form

Next, complete the application form for an A/1 Temporary Resident visa to Israel. The form is available in two languages: English and Hebrew. You can complete it in either language.

Note that the form differs depending on the visa type, therefore make sure you get the right application form for an A/1 Temporary Resident visa to Israel. You can complete the form with your computer and then print it, or with a pen of any other color than black.

The form contains questions on your nationality, name, surname, parents’ full names, your occupation and your intended trip to Israel. Do not forget to attach a photo to the application form in the given space.

Gather the required documents

After the application form, you should continue collecting the rest of the required documents for an A/1 Temporary Resident visa to Israel.

The requirements for an A/1 Temporary Resident visa to Israel are as follows:

  • A/1 Visa application form. Make sure you download and complete the right form for this visa.
  • Two passport-size photographs. The photos should have a white background and be in size 5.5 cm X 5.5.
  • A valid passport. Your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the intended duration of stay in Israel and have at least one blank page to affix the visa.
  • Previous passports. You must submit all passports that you hold, including current/old/cancelled/expired/special passport.
  • Flight Booking. You do not need to purchase the tickets as if your application is rejected, you will lose your money. You just need a saved seat on a flight to Israel as a proof of the date you intend to travel here. Click here to learn how to purchase a dummy ticket for visa application.
  • Your birth certificate.
  • Payment of the applicable fee for the A1 visa.
  • Civil Marriage/Divorce/Death Certificate. If you are/were married to an Israeli you will need to provide the relevant certificates of marital status with apostille certification.
  • Letter from a recognized rabbi: Acceptable proof of Judaism is a letter from a recognized rabbi confirming how the rabbi knows you and stating that you are Jewish and born to a Jewish mother.
  • The letter should be written within the past year on official letterhead.
  • It must state the name, location and telephone number of the congregation, and include your full legal name and parents’ names, and if applicable, grandparents’ names.
  • The letter must bear the rabbi’s signature, and the rabbi’s name and title should appear on the letterhead.
  • If you converted to Judaism, you will be required to submit different documentation proving your completion of the conversion process. You will receive further instructions during the application process.

Collect all these documents before the day of your visa appointment for an interview with the embassy/consulate/visa processing center.

Attend the visa appointment for an interview

On the day of your appointment, you will have to meet with a consular officer to whom you will submit the required documents. This person will interview you regarding your application, the intention of your trip to Israel and other details in this regard.

Pay A/1 Visa Fee

The fee for and A/1 Visa is €41 for every applicant. If you file your application at a visa-processing center you will have to pay an additional service fee, which cannot be higher than the price of the visa itself.

Israel Visa Processing

The processing of an A/1 Temporary Resident visa for Israel will take at least five days. Make sure you apply well in advance to give the embassy enough time for processing.

How Long Can I Stay in Israel With a Temporary Resident Visa?

An A/1 Temporary Resident visa for Israel is valid for a period of three years. By the end of the third year, you can apply for a visa extension for another two years.

The total period of stay in Israel under an A/1 Temporary Resident visa is five years. After five years, if you want to continue living in Israel, you have two options:

  • Apply for Aliyah.
  • Apply for an A-5 visa, which can be extended every two years.

What Can I Do With an A/1 Visa in Israel?

The law on the A/1 Temporary Resident visa for Israel sets the rules on what you can do and what you cannot do while living in Israel under this visa.

  • You can legally work in Israel.
  • You can register with an Israeli healthcare provider after spending 183 consecutive days in Israel.
  • You can benefit from income tax reduction, on the income you earn in Israel.
  • You are eligible for purchase tax reduction.
  • You are not obligated to in the Israel Defense Force.

However, there are some other things that you will not be able to do, despite the numerous benefits; for example, you won’t be able to vote in Israeli elections.

Did you find this page helpful?
Yes No
Scroll to Top