When you apply for an Indonesian visa, you have to submit several documents to the Embassy/Consulate so they can process your application. The Indonesia visa requirements change depending on the type of visa you need, how you are applying, and even what country you are from.
Indonesia Visa Requirements
The documents required for an Indonesian visa application include:
- Passport-size pictures, in line with Indonesia visa photo requirements.
- Indonesia Visa Application Form.
- Proof of Travel Arrangements.
- Proof of Accommodation in Indonesia.
- Proof of Sufficient Financial Means.
- Invitation Letter to Indonesia.
- Cover Letter (for Business Travellers).
- Indonesia Visa Fee Payment.
You have to submit your passport to the Indonesia Embassy or Consulate when you apply for your visa. The passport must:
- Be valid for at least another six months from the date of application.
- Have at least one blank visa page (for some types of visas, such as the retirement visa, more blank pages are required)
- Must be in good condition
You may also be required to submit a copy of the relevant pages of your passport, such as the personal information page and previous visas and entry stamps.
Indonesia Visa Photo Requirements
Another visa requirement for Indonesia is submitting 2 to 4 recent pictures of yourself which meet the following requirements:
- Dimensions: 3cm x 4cm or 4cm x 6cm (depending on the Embassy/Consulate)
- White or red background (depending on the Embassy/Consulate)
- Taken within the last three month
- Your face must be fully visible and you must be staring straight ahead
- You must have a neutral facial expression
- No headgear allows unless it is for religious purposes. Even them, the face must be fully visible.
- If you have prescription eye-glasses, they must not have glare, thick rims, or be too big.
- The picture must be attached to the designated spot on the Indonesia Visa Application Form using an adhesive/paper glue (not a stapler or scotch tape)
Indonesia Visa Application Form
Different Embassies/Consulates have their own requirements where to download or fill in the visa application form. Some offer it at their premises, whereas others allow you to print it out yourself or complete it online before applying.
In all cases, you must hand in at least one copy of the Indonesia visa application form along with the rest of the required documents. The visa application form must:
- Be fully completed
- Include all correct information
- Be signed (for minors, a parent or legal guardian must sign the form)
- Include a picture of yourself, as described above
Proof of Travel Arrangements
Another requirement for Indonesian visas is proof of travel arrangements, such as a flight itinerary. You must submit an itinerary or electronic ticket reservation, which shows dates of entry and exit into Indonesia as well as your full name.
Proof of Accommodation in Indonesia
Proof of accommodation as part of the Indonesia visa requirements can be:
- Hotel booking/reservation,
- Invitation Letter from a host, if you are planning to stay with friends or family members/relatives,
- Confirmation by an organized tour operator or holiday tours, or
- Rental agreement / contract.
Proof of Sufficient Financial Means
When you apply for an Indonesian visa, you have to be able to prove that you can sustain yourself financially during your stay. Proof of sufficient funds can be bank statements showing transactions from the last three months, officially issued from your bank. You need about $2,000 for a stay of one month.
If you have a sponsor who will be covering your expenses, such as a host company for business travelers, they must show
If you are traveling to Indonesia to visit friends or relatives, they may have to write you an invitation letter, which you have to include with the other Indonesia visa requirements.
If you are traveling for business, then the company in Indonesia which you will visit has to write you a letter of invitation. This type of letter must:
- Be written on the company’s letterhead
- Show the full address and phone number of the inviting company
- State the number of days and entries you are requesting the visa for
In both cases, the inviter has to explain whether they share responsibility for your accommodation and maintenance costs.
Cover Letter (for Business Travellers)
Business travellers will also need a Business Visa Cover Letter from the company, organization or institution for which they work. The letter has to be written on the company’s letterhead and include the full address and phone number of the company/organization/institution as well as number of days and entries that the applicant needs the visa.
Indonesia Visa Requirements for Mail Application
If you apply by mail, one of the Indonesia visa requirements is a pre-paid, stamped and self-addressed envelope which can be mailed using a safe courier or postal service. The Embassy/Consulate will use the envelope to mail you back your documents as well as your passport (which, if the application was successful, will contain your Indonesian visa).
Indonesia Visa Fee
When you apply for an Indonesian visa, you will have to pay a non-refundable fee as follows:
- Single-entry Tourist Visa: USD 50
- Multiple-entry Tourist/Visit/Business Visa: USD 100
- Limited Stay Visa:
- Six months: USD 50
- One year: USD 90
- Two years: USD 160
- Visa on Arrival: USD 35
What is proof of payment of the Indonesia visa fee?
Since there is no single acceptable way to pay the Indonesia visa fee, the proof of payment will depend on the Embassy/Consulate and whether you are by mail or in person. You can usually find instructions about the payment method on their websites. Sometimes you have to purchase a Money Order, and other times you can pay via your Credit or Debit Card.
Note: The visa fees are subject to change, based on new immigration rules as well as the country in which you apply.
Indonesia Visa Requirements by Visa Types
Depending on what type of Indonesian visa you apply for, there are going to be additional documents required for the application. If you’re applying for a long-stay visa, such as a work or study visa, you will need a sponsor in Indonesia to help you get authorization from the Immigration Department there. You will have to send your sponsor all the necessary documents for the application. See the Indonesia visa requirements by the purpose of travel below:
- Indonesia Tourist Visa
- Indonesia Business Visa
- Indonesia Work Visa
- Indonesia Student Visa
- Indonesia Retirement Visa
Indonesian visas for long-term purposes are usually applied for in Indonesia, and you only have to pick up the visa or submit additional documents to the Indonesian Embassy in your country. This is why you need a sponsor.
Indonesia Visa Requirements by Country
When it comes to Indonesia visas, citizens of a large list of countries do not need a visa at all – at least not for short-term, tourism purposes. If you are from one of the countries in this list, then you can travel to Indonesia visa-free for up to 30 days. You only have to present your passport and ticket to the immigration officers at the entry-point.
If you are eligible for an Indonesia Visa on Arrival, then, as the name suggests, you can simply get the visa at the airport in Indonesia with fewer requirements:
- Your passport.
- An onward or return flight ticket.
- The Visa on Arrival fee.
Last Updated on